Monday, December 9, 2019

Favorite Songs of 2019 - Songs 23-33

Greetings music lovers! One change in this year's list from those of the past: I'm only including one song from each artist in the countdown. There were just too many good songs/artist that I wanted to share with you. But not to worry, with those who had multiple songs that would have been considered or included, I'll let you know what they were.

Let's get started.

23.  Paper Stickers by Deau Eyes.

"Gave me a book of paper stickers
I need something thicker
to cut with my scissors
cut with my scissors.
I wanna tire out my hand and give them something to see
Hey, look, I raised my hand first!
Why didn't you call on me?"


Likely the most obscure of any song on this year's list, if the now 228 views of the video are any indication of popularity. Seems like a feminist anthem from my read of the lyrics. And I'm just fine with that.

24.  It Doesn't Matter Why by Silversun Pickups.

"You want to read our minds (We know)
Is It better on the other side? (No)
Will it help you sleep at night? (It won't)
And it doesn't matter why we're known
We're just known."


Not sure if the "other side" is the thin veil between life and the after-life, or if it has a more earthly meaning (the band's relationship with its fans?). At any rate, it's a Silversun Pickup song, and if they've got a new one, it will generally find its way onto my list.

25.  Yolk in the Fur by Wild Pink.

"'Cause they you wrapped up tight
In a disposable life
Yeah they ate your lunch and sold you dinner
On credit."


Like a little symphony - from some guys in flannel shirts (and in the video, a drummer in a Buffalo Bills t-shirt).

26.  Future Me Hates Me by The Beths.

"Future heart break, future headaches
Wide eyed nights late lying awake
With future cold shakes from stupid mistakes
Future me hates me for, hates me for."


How can you not like a song with that title? While you're at it, also check out The Beths' Little Death. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuzlZWvTU2I

27.  Newspaper Gown by Damien Jurado.

"Our friends think we're lovers
Or so I have heard
And they try for confessions
And I say not a word
So we let them keep guessing
'Til they figure us out
Our made-up wedding
In your newspaper gown."


The quietest song on this year's list, Jurado was part of the best Mountain Stage I saw this year. Two others from that show have songs further up the list.

28.  Landslide by Beirut. 

"If you ever return
In a wonderful form
Don't you wait out the storm
Just pull roots and move on."


A lovely song about ... death? Or a more earthly departure?

29.  I Dare You by The Regrettes. 

"There're stains on your sweater
You think you know better
But you're a child, and it's kinda wild
That you're the one that brings the sun."


This year's entry in what seems like the annual "sounds like The Strokes" category. Except for the female singer, of course.

30.  Saw Lightning by Beck (with Pharrell Williams).

"I held my head up
And it struck me down
Down to the ground
It struck me down, struck me down
Struck me down to the ground."


Beck's been on this list about as long, and as frequently, as anyone. There's obviously a reason for that ...

31.  Sway by Tove Stryke.

"Baby, are you tied up?
I don't wanna know now
Are we gonna stay up?
Are we gonna get out this crowd?"


Apparently this song was featured in the FIFA 19 video game. That is not where I first heard it (duh). Added bonus: Ms. Stryke (her real name, btw) is Swedish. Likely fits neatly into my "Guilty Pleasures" playlist long term.

32.  Superbike by Jay Som. 

"Now you're waiting in the light
Patiently to my surprise
(Somebody tell me)
I pick up the superbike
Going 80 in the night
(Somebody tell me)."


Superbike by Jay Som. Recommended to me by both my friend Charlie and my comely spouse, Jay Som is actually Melina Mae Duterte who really does record in a studio in her bedroom - can't get any more "bedroom pop" than that.

33.  Darkness by Pinegrove.

"Well, I know it's been a long time coming
I'm angry and I know that's weak
And I'm longing out that open window
For whatever it is I seek."


In this year's Facebook poll of what song should be last on the list, but first in our hearts, the boys and girls from New Jersey won out. If you want to check out the other two nominees, they were St. ("Saint" or "Street"?) by Restorations and Lo/Hi by The Black Keys.

We'll be back soon with a very solid middle children list of songs 12-22.

No comments:

Post a Comment