Monday, December 30, 2019

Favorite Songs of 2019 - Songs 1-11

1. Blown to Bits by Charly Bliss.

"Every empty calorie
Expanding sweets inside of me
You're light as a feather, astronomically huge
Laughing out loud in your bathing suit
And I'm still alive, best year of my life."


Marry my perverse love of apocalyptic songs with my unusual appreciation of '80's girl bands' (The Bangles, The Go Gos) pop, and some pretty wicked guitar and what do you get? My favorite song of the year, that's what. Charly Bliss front woman Eva Hendricks describes the genesis of the song as: " I started writing this song the day that everyone in Hawaii was alerted to a nuclear missile headed their way. Luckily it ended up being a false alarm, but that day I couldn’t stop thinking about actually living out the end of your world, and THE world, and how devastated I would be by the loss of things that are for the most part, really simple and small ... This is a love song to little moments that make me feel like we might make it out the other end." Also check out the songs "Capacity," (which has actually made some critics' best songs lists), "Young Enough," and "The Truth." 

2.  Little Trouble by Better Oblivion Community Center.

"Not every certain death can be so brave
Not every psychopath can act so well-behaved."


Phoebe Bridgers and Conor Oberst combined their talents in Better Oblivion Community Center and on their eponymous first album (which contains the oft-heard "Dylan Thomas"). They then released this song, which I favor over Dylan Thomas. The bouncy, drum-led music belies the snarky lyrics, which I hear as an indictment of class and privilege. And the above lyrics? Perfect.

3.  This Life by Vampire Weekend. 

"You've been cheating on, cheating on me
I've been cheating on, cheating on you
You've been cheating on me
But I've been cheating through ...
This life
And all its suffering
Oh Christ,
Am I good for nothing?"


Hard to read this as anything other than the songwriter's (in this case, Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig) guilt at how well he's got things compared to much of the rest of the world - sort of a self-examining complement to "Little Trouble" now that I think about it. Also highly recommended is the band's "Harmony Hall" from the excellent Father of the Bride album. Vampire Weekend's musicianship shines through in this live version.

4.  Quarter-Life Crisis by Judah & the Lion. 

"All these stories probably should be just for my therapist
I've been fightin', hidin', tryin' my best not to let you in
I can't do this all alone."


The song, and the whole album Pep Talks, are the reflection of a crisis for the Nashville boys and particularly front-man Judah Akers brought on by family turmoil. Whether quarter-life or nearly full, we can all relate. Also recommended from this fine collection, at the least, are "Over my head," and "i'm ok."

5.  basking in the glow by oso oso. 

"Cut me up, I've said enough
Learned this lesson far too much
It'll only bring you down
Carrying someone around
In your head, in your head."


Jade Lilitri is oso oso, and as with many songs I love, the bouncy music is at odds with the introspective lyrics. Sounds to me like he's at least trying to figure things out. Also check out "one sick plan," "wake up next to god," and the first song on the album, simply called "intro."

6.  Way Way Back by Matt Nathanson. 

"I'm sure he's easier than I was
If you like that sorta thing
He looks better with his shirt off
Yeah, but can he sing?"


The final artist in the triumvirate of those that I heard (and liked) at Mountain Stage back in April. At the least, also check out "Used To Be" from his latest album "Sings His Sad Heart."

You can also here his entire Mountain Stage set here.

7.  Nobody by Hozier.

"I've been fed gold
By sweet fools in Abu Dhabi
And I've danced real slow
With Rockettes on dodgy molly
But I've had no love like your love (ooh hoo)
From nobody."


I can almost hear my Dad complain (as he often did about songs I would play for him): "I guess I like it but I can't understand a word he's saying." Pretty sure he wouldn't pick up on the "dodgy molly" (as, admittedly, I failed to do as well). Also check out "Almost (Sweet Music)" the seemingly more preferred but in my opinion less desirable Hozier song from his latest album Wasteland, Baby!

8.  Quiet Light by The National.

"Guess I don't know what I'm saying
Just call me
I'll come to where you are
Alone in the quiet light
I'm always thinking you're behind me
And I turn around and you're always there."


A departure for the boys from NYC (via Cincinnati) on the excellent album I Am Easy to Find as they incorporate the voices of a number of female singers. None to better effect, in my opinion, than on this song. But be sure to check out "Not in Kansas" and "Rylan" too (at the least).

9.  High Alert by Junius Meyvant. 

"You got my soul on fire
You got my heart beneath you
You got the one desire
To break me down just to please you."


This year's blue-eyed soul entry. Can't get much more blue-eyed than Iceland, which is where Unnar GĂ­sli Sigurmundsson (aka Junius Meyvant) hails from.

10.  Tenebrist by The Ballroom Thieves. 

"We all muddy the water, oh
To make it seem less shallow
If our grief grows like a shadow
And in the morning that's alright
We need the dark to know the light."


Anyone who has listened to more than a few of my favorite songs over the years would recognize this one as in my wheelhouse on may levels, chief among them the chorus, the interplay between the male and female voices, and the horns (which are unfortunately absent on the live version above).

11.  Will We Talk? by Sam Fender. 

"She said
'I don't usually do this kind of thing
Does it change the way you think of me?'
Thinking isn't his forte."


Speaking of The Boss, who has been all over my previous lists this year (here and here), Sam seems to have more than a bit of Bruce in him. And perhaps a little U2 to boot. 

Happy listening - thanks as always for following along!

No comments:

Post a Comment