Thursday, December 14, 2023

Favorite Songs of 2023 - Songs 23-33

It was a weird year musically for me - no live concerts, lots of time on Spotify and in C's car on Sirius and semi-listening to songs suggested by Uproxx to find candidates for this year's List. The result is an odd combination of new artists and old favorites, quiet, often sad songs, and loud, pretty much meaningless rockers, obscure releases and very popular ones, and a few that fall somewhere in-between all of the above. It may not be my most coherent list, but I prefer to think of it as ... eclectic. 

23. Gimme Back My Soul by Medium Build.

"When I met you at the tap room
I was young, with big brown eyes.
Got your number, for the summer
I was drunk, but you were nice, nice, nice.

Told you about Jesus
I told you about James
Told you about all the pieces of me
That I can't change."


The first of many songs on this year's List that I can empathize, but not sympathize, with.

24. Surfing in Iceland by Goth Babe. 

"I was waiting right there away from 
Hiding from the bad and hiding from the bad 
I was standing right there in Iceland 
And this is mighty rad and this is mighty rad."

 

Yes, Goth Babe is a male (Griff Washburn). And, yes, he apparently really did surf in Iceland.

25. Positive Charge by The Gaslight Anthem.

"I need a spark
I need a positive charge
Plug it into my veins and make me love this life again.
I need a spark
I need a positive charge.
Plug it into my brain and make me love my life again."


In the oft repeated "reminds me of" category on the List, this song definitely puts me in mind of the best from the Gin Blossoms back in the day.

26. Joiner by Blondshell.

"You've been running around LA with trash
Sleepin' in bars with a gun in your bag.
Asking 'Can I be somebody else?'
You've been riding around on handlebars
Buying drugs from guys in cars
Asking 'Can I be somebody else?'"


I can't tell if Blondshell (aka Sabrina Teitelbaum) is rubbernecking a car wreck, or wants to become part of it.

27.  Highlands by Middle Kids.

"Wherever you are, we're just getting started
Out of the dark, into the highlands.
Give me your heart, I wanna hide it
And I can't keep waiting for things to change."


The Kids from Down Under are back. And it sounds like they're ready to stir some ... stuff up.

28. SLAP ME IN THE FACE by PRONOUN.

"Slap me in the face and tell me I'm perfect
I wanna feel nice instead of just feeling sad
The world is so big and its future is yucky
I wanna play nice but you should treat me real bad."


Not sure I'm entirely comfortable with the message, but anything that pronoun/PRONOUN (aka Alyse Vellturo) does is so darn catchy it can't be ignored.

29. Something Wrong by Hand Habits.

"I'm beggin'
Beggin' you to understand
Amazing, call you my friend
Is there something wrong with that?
Is there something wrong with that?"


This song from Hand Habits (aka Meg Duffy) is haunting, but I like it. Is there something wrong with that?

30. CSI: Petralona by Westerman.

"Close shave in Petralona
My new friend walked me, hand in hand
Down to that busy square
You said, 'Let's head someplace quieter'
Athen is small
Everybody knows you here."


No, not that CSI. Sounds like Westerman was sorting through some deep stuff. Glad he had his friend with him.

31. Sugar Babies by Spoon.

"At the bar, don't forget les au revoirs les sugar babies
They saw me in the storefront standing still
They walked on by they couldn't chill
They'll say hello next time now maybe."


Anything Spoon does is worth a listen. Their longevity (they formed 30 years ago) and ability to not get stale and yet be true to themselves and their sound is admirable.

32. Save the World by Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit.

"Balloon popping at the grocery store
My heart jumping in my chest.
I look around to find the exit door.
Which way out of here's the best?"


We know how you feel, Jason. I love how the instrumental intro sounds like "breaking news" music on a t.v. station.

33. I Don't Know What You See in Me by Belle and Sebastian.

"I've been looking in, and looking out
And there's a million faces in the crowd
But you chose to hold your gaze on me.
And it only took a moment to see."


Belle and Sebastian have been around for almost as long as Spoon, but I believe that this is their first appearance on the List. Welcome, old friends!

Stick around friends, 22 more songs to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment